Oakland, CA—February 27, 2018—Navis, a part of Cargotec Corporation and provider of operational technologies and services that unlock greater performance and efficiency for the world's leading organizations across the shipping supply chain, recently hosted a two-day employee hackathon designed to boost innovation, collaboration and productivity for the company and uncover breakthrough ideas that could transform the future of product development.
Held across three offices where Navis and XVELA software engineers are based, including Oakland, Austin and Chennai, India, 'Navis Hack' inspired more than 150 Navis and XVELA engineers to team up and submit over 70 innovative ideas. Overall themes for the various submissions focused on tackling challenges within the ocean shipping industry, improving existing Navis/XVELA products or proposing new ideas to push the company to the next level in product development. The teams presented demos of their design prototypes or implemented solution hacks to colleagues and a panel of judges for consideration and awards.
"Internal hackathons have led to breakthroughs and development of notable products at some of the top technology companies in the world including Facebook's 'Like' button, Google's Gmail and LinkedIn's Year in Review," said Raj Gupta, CTO and SVP Engineering at Navis. "Our first Navis Hack event was designed as a creative outlet where members of our engineering teams had the opportunity to take on new roles, break out of their daily routines, explore new ideas and think big - fostering an environment of true innovation. We have some of the best minds in the maritime business and technology working here and their motivation and commitment to transforming efficiency and productivity for the industry really shone through during this event."
Of the more than 70 submissions and presentations that took place over the course of the event, the following winners were selected:
• Best Innovation: "Navis Smart Advisor" - N4 system health metrics are pushed to cloud based microservices which use machine learning to provide recommendations to users via Amazon Alexa or Android mobile app.
• Customer Impact Award: "System Gurus"- An intelligent microservice that helps users determine N4 upgrade feasibility by showing users exactly what changed between two different versions of N4 including highlighting groovy extensions whose dependent N4 product APIs have changed.
• Customer Impact Award: "Navis Risers - A performance improvement for handling bulk updates in XPS speeding up the process of changing the vessel visit state in N4, leading to faster vessel close times and higher XPS message throughput.
• Best Design (UI/UX Backend): "XV Geo Hack" - XV Geo Hack improves XVELA vessel route mapping to use ocean waypoints, improving the mobile user experience and providing realistic vessel route visualization.
• Audience Poll Award: "TieDot" - An easy to use natural language search engine in N4, which provides business intelligence insights from the TOS in various graphical formats.
For more information about Navis visit www.navis.com.
About Navis, LLC
Navis, a part of Cargotec Corporation, is a provider of operational technologies and services that unlock greater performance and efficiency for the world's leading organizations across the shipping supply chain. Navis combines industry best practices with innovative technology and world-class services to enable our container terminals and carriers alike to streamline their ocean supply chains and better collaborate together, transforming how goods are efficiently delivered. Whether tracking cargo through a port, automating equipment operations, or managing multiple terminals through an integrated, centralized solution, Navis provides a comprehensive set of solutions to optimize terminal performance, vessel performance and cloud-based collaboration that drives transparency, efficiency and profitability to a network of ocean carriers and terminal operators. www.navis.com
About Cargotec Corporation
Cargotec (Nasdaq Helsinki: CGCBV) is a leading provider of cargo and load handling solutions with the goal of becoming the leader in intelligent cargo handling. Cargotec's sales in 2016 totaled approximately EUR 3.5 billion and it employs over 11,000 people. www.cargotec.com
More Info: http://www.navis.com