GREENWICH, Conn. — April 15, 2016 — XPO Logistics, Inc. (NYSE: XPO) has launched a North American campaign throughout its less-than-truckload (LTL) and full truckload networks to promote National Distracted Driving Awareness Month, a designation of the National Safety Council. The company dispatches approximately 18,000 professional truck drivers daily in its North American transportation operations.
XPO will partner with law enforcement and school districts throughout April to bring visibility to the dangers of distracted driving. Scheduled events include:
• Say No to Distracted Driving. On April 19 and 20, 2016, XPO professional driver Stephanie Klang will host six distracted driving presentations at Carthage Senior High School in Carthage, Mo. Klang is a Women in Trucking Image Team member and former America's Road Team captain. The presentations will run from 7: 55 a.m. to 1: 00 p.m. local time on April 19, and from 9: 30 a.m. to 2: 35 p.m. on April 20.
• "Gone Too Soon" Educational Video. On April 26, 2016, Sergeant John Lueckenhoff, public information and education officer for the Missouri State Highway Patrol, will present an educational video and discussion on distracted driving at XPO's operations center in Joplin, Mo., at 9: 00 a.m. local time.
"We've all seen motorists text, eat, talk on the phone, even put on makeup while driving," said Stephanie Klang, a veteran professional XPO driver with more than three million accident-free miles to her credit. "And we all know how dangerous inattentive drivers are. When someone is distracted from looking at the road and the cars around them, the consequences can be tragic."
In support of National Distracted Driving Awareness Month, employees at the company's more than 300 LTL and truckload locations in North America are being encouraged to:
• Join the distracted driving conversation on social media using hashtags #JustDrive and #WeAreXPO to share ideas about reducing mobile use while driving;
• Take the #XPOSafetyPledge and commit to driving distraction-free;
• Lead by doing: while driving, only make or take a phone call when absolutely necessary, and only when connected to a hands-free device;
• Qualify to win prizes by joining social media discussions on distracted driving and taking the company's Safety Pledge; and
• Visit XPO's www.SteeringYourHealth.com blog to see tips from professional drivers for avoiding distracted driving, and review a resource list of smartphone apps designed to limit distractions while driving.
Distracted driving has become an epidemic in the United States, according to the National Safety Council. Distracted drivers account for 27% of all accidents on the road, and over 1,160 people are injured or die each day as a result.
About XPO Logistics, Inc.
XPO Logistics, Inc. (NYSE: XPO) is a top ten global provider of cutting-edge supply chain solutions to the most successful companies in the world. The company provides services for truckload brokerage and transportation, last mile logistics, engineered supply chain solutions, high-value-add warehousing and distribution, ground and air expedite, less-than-truckload transportation, intermodal, drayage, managed transportation and global forwarding. XPO serves more than 50,000 customers with a highly integrated network of over 89,000 employees and 1,443 locations in 33 countries. XPO's corporate headquarters is in Greenwich, Conn., USA, and its European headquarters is in Lyon, France. www.xpo.com
More Info: http://www.SteeringYourHealth.com