Schools are back in session and roads are busier everywhere, making responsible driving behavior more important than ever. But that's no guarantee that drivers will observe the posted speed limits. Now, a study of driving habits shows just how fast the scofflaws are traveling.
A recent survey of 1,013 randomly selected Americans found that just 37 percent of drivers say they always follow the speed limit. The survey was conducted in June by Hankook Tire America Corp. for its Quarterly Gauge Index.
Of the speeders, 61 percent claim they typically exceed the posted limit by just two to five miles per hour, while the remaining 39 percent admit they cruise at least six miles per hour over the limit.
The speeding habit is not limited to highways, but also occurs on local roads, with 34 percent of respondents admitting they typically drive over the speed limit in a school zone.
"Our quarterly Hankook Gauge Index continually provides valuable and unique insights into Americans' driving behaviors," Hankook's public relations and social media manager Henry Kopacz said in a release. "These recent results give us an interesting perspective on how careful and responsible Americans are when driving, especially in those (areas) we have to be extra wary of."