Truck turn times down at Port of Oakland
Port improvements help increase trucker productivity, officials say.
Truckers are getting in and out of the Port of Oakland faster, thanks to recent improvements at the port's marine terminals, officials said this week.
The port reported average truck turn times of between 62 minutes and 72 minutes at Oakland marine terminals in May, down from a high of 92 minutes in January. Turn times measure how long it takes freight haulers to drop off or pick up cargo containers. Faster turn times mean that customers get their cargo quicker and that freight haulers can make more trips every day, port officials said.
"It's an encouraging sign for all of us," Port of Oakland Maritime Director John Driscoll said in a statement announcing the improvements on June 6. "It indicates that we're operating more efficiently for the benefit of the global supply chain."
Port officials attribute the turn time improvements to a series of steps the port has taken over the past three years, including:
- The addition of night shifts to ease daytime terminal crowding;
- A requirement for appointments before truckers can pick up cargo; and
- Completion of a two-year, $67 million expansion at TraPac terminal.
The Port said turn times were often two hours or more before operational changes took hold.
Resources Mentioned In This Article
- West Coast ports post strong August
- Solving the final 50 feet: interview with Barbara Ivanov
- National Truck Driver Appreciation Week runs Sept. 8-14
- KeepTruckin says new hardware devices can help fleets handle flood of data from smart devices
- Loadsmart lines up $19 million investment from Maersk and others
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in, you will be asked to log in or register.
Feedback: What did you think of this article? We'd like to hear from you. DC VELOCITY is committed to accuracy and clarity in the delivery of important and useful logistics and supply chain news and information. If you find anything in DC VELOCITY you feel is inaccurate or warrants further explanation, please ?Subject=Feedback - : Truck turn times down at Port of Oakland">contact Chief Editor David Maloney. All comments are eligible for publication in the letters section of DC VELOCITY magazine. Please include you name and the name of the company or organization your work for.