Industrial Truck Association announces updated speakers, agenda for National Forklift Safety Day 2018
On June 12, forklift manufacturers will once again head to Washington to inform legislators and policymakers about the importance of forklift safety and proper operator training. Here's the latest on what they have planned for this fifth annual event.
The conversation will be all about safety on June 12, 2018, when members of the Industrial Truck Association (ITA) take part in the fifth annual National Forklift Safety Day in Washington, D.C. This well-attended event provides an opportunity for the industry to educate customers, policymakers, and government officials about the safe use of forklifts and the importance of proper operator training. Washington-based ITA represents manufacturers of lift trucks, AGVs, and similar equipment in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The organization promotes international standards development, advances engineering and safety practices, disseminates statistical information, and holds industry forums.
An educational program for members and invited guests will be held the afternoon of June 11, at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Washington, D.C. This part of the program will feature an update on Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations and policies affecting forklift operator training and safety by ITA Counsel Gary Cross; a review of international trade policies affecting lift truck manufacturers and importers by Linda Dempsey, vice president, international economic affairs, for the National Association of Manufacturers; and an update on Congressional activities by Washington lawyer and former member of Congress Scott Klug.
The main, public event will be held June 12, with a morning program (also at the Mandarin Oriental) featuring experts from both industry and government. The stellar lineup of speakers includes:
- Brian Feehan, president, Industrial Truck Association
- Scott Johnson, ITA chairman of the board and vice president of sales and marketing, Clark Material Handling
- Tommy Nguyen, staff director for Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee's Subcommittee on Employment and Workplace Safety
- Loren Sweatt, deputy assistant secretary, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Jane Terry, senior director, government affairs, National Safety Council
- Jim Mozer, ITA National Forklift Safety Day chairman and senior vice president, Crown Equipment Corp.
- Dr. Wes Scott, president and CEO, Global EHSS Leadership Solutions
In the afternoon, ITA members will hold meetings with members of Congress representing their states and home districts. Forklift manufacturers, dealers, and distributors around the country will also hold local events promoting forklift safety.
ITA says it hopes National Forklift Safety Day will provide greater awareness of safe practices as well as encourage safer behavior in warehouses, distribution centers, manufacturing plants, and other environments where forklifts are in use.
Interested in attending? More information, a video about last year's highly successful event, and registration details are available at www.indtrk.org/national-forklift-safety-day. You can also request more information by submitting a query at www.indtrk.org/contact or by calling (202) 296-9880.
And be sure to check out all of DCV's coverage of National Forklift Safety Day. We've published special articles on our website and in our May issue as well as news about National Forklift Safety Day events around the country. Watch for our National Forklift Safety Day e-newsletter featuring commentaries by industry experts on improving and maintaining forklift safety.
Resources Mentioned In This Article
- National Forklift Safety Day 2019 focuses on progress, best practices
- Power play for battery technology
- Lift truck makers celebrate National Forklift Safety Day 2019 with special offers and local events
- UniCarriers launches finance program for dealers
- Industrial health and safety experts to headline National Forklift Safety Day 2019
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in, you will be asked to log in or register.
Feedback: What did you think of this article? We'd like to hear from you. DC VELOCITY is committed to accuracy and clarity in the delivery of important and useful logistics and supply chain news and information. If you find anything in DC VELOCITY you feel is inaccurate or warrants further explanation, please ?Subject=Feedback - : Industrial Truck Association announces updated speakers, agenda for National Forklift Safety Day 2018">contact Chief Editor David Maloney. All comments are eligible for publication in the letters section of DC VELOCITY magazine. Please include you name and the name of the company or organization your work for.