Ground breakers: who's building a new DC?
- Amazon is opening a distribution facility in Swansea, Wales. The DC, which will measure 400,000 square feet when it opens in October, will be Amazon's fourth distribution center in the United Kingdom. The retailer's plans call for the eventual expansion of the center, which will serve Amazon.co.uk, to over 800,000 square feet.
- After acquiring Reebok last year, Adidas Group has decided to consolidate its distribution operations into a new 1.9 million-square-foot distribution center near Spartanburg, S.C. The sports footwear and apparel company will close DCs in Massachusetts, Tennessee, Kentucky, and South Carolina.
- DHL has opened a new facility in White River Junction, Vt. The carrier will use the new 11,000-square-foot center, which replaces a 2,000-square-foot facility, to handle local pickup, delivery, and sorting operations.
- The Allen Group, a developer of commercial properties, has opened a Dallas Logistics Hub at the Lancaster Municipal Airport in Lancaster, Texas. The 6,000-acre complex will allow the construction of 60 million square feet of warehousing, manufacturing, and office space.
- Target Corp. plans to build a new cold-storage distribution center for perishable grocery items next to its dry goods DC in Cedar Falls, Iowa. The 400,000-square-foot building represents about a $35 million investment. It is expected to be operational by August 2009.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in, you will be asked to log in or register.
Feedback: What did you think of this article? We'd like to hear from you. DC VELOCITY is committed to accuracy and clarity in the delivery of important and useful logistics and supply chain news and information. If you find anything in DC VELOCITY you feel is inaccurate or warrants further explanation, please ?Subject=Feedback - : ground breakers: who's building a new DC?">contact Chief Editor David Maloney. All comments are eligible for publication in the letters section of DC VELOCITY magazine. Please include you name and the name of the company or organization your work for.